Tuesday 31 July 2012

Splendid Strawberry, Cream and Meringue Cake!


Hello my baking friends! Another beautiful cake recipe for you today! This cake was an addition to family dinner at the weekend, and what a yummy addition it was. Baking this cake was somewhat therapeutic as it distracted me from the pain of getting my nose pierced (I'm so proud of myself, I feel all rebellious!). And on the plus side I got to eat it as comfort food after we were finished. This cake has a lot going on, two raspberry cake layers, cream, jam, strawberries and meringue! The cake lacked somewhat in the appearance department ( it was slightly wonky and cracked,I maintain it had understated glamour!). What it lacked in beauty, it made up for in taste and texture.It was so sweet and delicious, and perfectly moist and soft. This recipe is from the BBC good food website, it was originally for blackberry and almonds but I deviated from this recipe quite a bit... Here's mine!

Strawberry, Cream and Meringue Cake

For the Cake:
200g butter softened
200g golden caster sugar
200g self-raising flour
50g ground almonds
2 eggs and 2 egg yolks, beaten
2-4tbsp milk
150g punnet raspberries
2tsp vanilla extract

For the meringue:
2 egg whites
100g golden caster sugar, plus an extra sprinkle
2tbsp flaked almonds

Filling and topping:
200ml double cream, whipped
4 tbsp raspberry jam
strawberries sliced

METHOD
1.Line two 20cm non-stick sandwich tins with parchment. Preheat oven to fan 140C.
2.Put all the cake ingredients (except the raspberries and using just half the milk) in a bowl, then beat until creamy and well mixed. 
3.Stir in 100g raspberries, along with the extra milk if you need it (I didn't use the extra milk, just to let you know). Divide between the tins and level tops.
4.Whisk the egg whites in a bowl, adding the 100g sugar, a spoonful at a time, until thick and glossy (I recommend using an electric beater or you arms will be dead!). Lightly spread onto one of the cakes, then sprinkle with the almonds and extra sprinkle of sugar.
5.Bake both cakes for 40 mins, then take the cake without the meringue out of the oven and set aside. Bake the remaining cake for 30 mins more until done. Cool cakes.
6.Spread sliced strawberries, jam and whipped cream between the two cake layers! Layer the top of the meringue with more cream and strawberries, I also added a final flourish with white chocolate curls.

 Ta da... your beautiful cake is done and ready to be enjoyed by friends, family and loves! This cake is slightly more laborious than previous cakes I have tried on this blog but it was well worth the extra effort! I wonder what I will try next...hmm any ideas? And now I have to go and attempt to make some fabric bunting for my upcoming wedding...aaah!! Hope you are all having a lovely week filled yummy baked treats! Happy Baking!

Rachael xx.
  •   


4 comments:

  1. Oh yum! This cake looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you, it was very delicious! By the way I love your blog, your earl grey muffins look lovely!

      Rachael xx.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. A good speechless, I hope?? :)

      Rachael xx.

      Delete