Hello friends!! This is a chocca chocca cake( double chocolate cake, yes I did decide it needed a more exciting name). I baked this cake as a celebratory cake for my housemate and friend Kirsty who passed an assessment yesterday to become a fully fledged mental health nurse, woo hoo, congrats mate!! This bad boy was waiting for her when she came home! A deliciously moist and scrumptious cake with double the chocolate punch! A white chocolate layer and a dark chocolate layer. The top has two of Kirsty's favourite foods, raspberries and magic stars, on a bed of shiny thick chocolate ganache. The exact recipe can be found in BBC Good Food- 500 triple tested recipes recipe book. Here it is...
White and Dark Chocolate Cake
75g softened butter
100g white chocolate (preferably with vanilla flecks)
100g dark chocolate
175g caster sugar
1tsp baking powder
200g self-raising flour
2 tbsp strong coffee
1tsp vanilla extract
for the Ganache
284ml double cream
200g dark chocolate pieces
50g white chocolate melted
1. Preheat oven to fan 160°C. Butter and line two 20cm sandwich cake tins.
2. Break chocolates into two separate bowls. Melt over simmering water. Put everything else apart from coffee and vanilla, into a bowl and beat until creamy.
3. Divide cake mix into two separate bowls, add coffee and dark chocolate two one and vanilla and white chocolate to the other. Mix each bowl. Spoon into the cake tins and bake for 25mins, then cool.
4. for the ganache, bring the cream to a boil and then pour over the chocolate and leave for 5mins. Stir until smooth then leave to cool and thicken.
5. Sandwich the cakes together with the ganache as a filling. Ice with the ganache and drizzle with the melted white chocolate. Then decorate as you wish and scoff away!
What an easy tasty cake. Perfect for celebrations and parties, everyone loves chocolate after all and this cake has double the chocolate. I hope you give this cake a go, and enjoy it as much as we did!! Happy Baking!