Tuesday 6 December 2016

Butternut Squash Soup with Cheddar and Apple Wheaten Bread

HELLOOOOO! I promised you a recipe today and now I am delivering on that promise! I have been working away in the kitchen all morning and have rustled up two different recipes to share with you today! Number one is my Rosemary, Chilli and Garlic Butternut Squash soup and number two is my cheddar and apple wheaten bread recipe! Both are equally delicious and can be served together for a delicious, comforting and satisfying lunch ( not to mention healthy and cheap!). These are the perfect recipes for a warming winter lunch or for a tasty and easy starter to have with your Christmas dinner, you could even get a head start now and pop it in the freezer ready to be defrosted on Christmas day (yes that's too organised for me too!). On with the recipes...



 Butternut Squash Soup

This recipe made two big bowls of soup, one for me and one for the freezer! But if you wanted smaller bowls you could probably get three servings out of the recipe.

Ingredients

1 large butternut squash
1 large onion
1 tsp of dried rosemary
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp. of olive oil
a good pinch of chilli flakes
salt and pepper to season

Method

1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius and chop and peel your butternut squash, smallish chunks are best.
2. Drizzle over 1 tbsp. of oil and season with a good pinch of salt and pepper and sprinkle over the rosemary.
3. Roast the squash in the oven for about 40mins until the cubes are soft and have browned a little.
4. When the squash is done roasting heat the remaining 1 tbsp. of oil in a saucepan and add your onion and chilli flakes and fry until the onion is soft.
5. When the onion is soft crush in your garlic gloves and fry for another minute. When this is done add in your squash and give everything a good stir. Crumble in the stock cube and add boiling water until the squash is just covered. Simmer for 10mins.
6. When it has simmered for 10mins just use a stick blender until it is your desired consistency. I like mine pretty thick but you can add more water at this stage if you like it thinner. Check the seasoning and there you go, you're done!


Cheddar and Apple Wheaten Bread

I recently discovered how easy this bread was to make when my husband and I decided to stop buying supermarket bread. I have since made this recipe my go to bread recipe every week (the less said about the sourdough, the better!). This recipe makes a pretty huge loaf of bread but you could half the recipe too which would make a perfect loaf for a lunch for three people, perfect when served with the soup. This is not a traditional recipe as I have not used buttermilk, I just use milk and yogurt as I find it hard to get buttermilk and I don't always have it in my fridge like I do yoghurt and milk. My favourite thing about this bread is the cheesy crust and the cheese pockets throughout the loaf, absolutely delicious! The apple just gives little bursts of sweetness throughout and is perfect with the cheese.

Ingredients

1tsp bicarbonate of soda
250ml whole milk
250ml natural yoghurt
100g oats
250g coarse wholemeal flour
250g plain flour
a good pinch of sea salt
100g cheddar cheese, cubed
1 apple, any variety, cubed
25g butter, cubed

Method

1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius and put all your dry ingredients into a bowl and mix with a wooden spoon.
2. Add in the butter and mix until combined and the mix forms a crumbly texture.
3. Add in the apple and cheese and mix with a spoon until evenly dispersed.
4. Add in the yoghurt and milk (you could use 500ml of buttermilk, more traditional but less handy). Mix until everything is combined.
5. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment and sprinkle with flour.
6. Turn your bread mix out unto the baking sheet and shape into a loaf shape. Don't work the dough very much at all as this can make it very crumbly.
7. Take a sharp knife and cut a cross in the top of the loaf and pop it in the oven for about 45mins, until it's golden and crisp on the top.
8. Leave to cool and cut into slices slathered with butter or more cheese (you can never have too much cheese!) to serve.


And this is what it looks like all served up, doesn't that just make you hungry!

So there you have it two delicious recipes for the price of one! Let me know if you try this recipe, I would love to know what you think of it! I'm really loving soups this winter, I love how you can pack loads of veggies in there and they taste so scrummy! I've been being really adventurous with my soup recipes too, testing out a load of new ones! What are you favourite soup recipes, I would love to know? Anyway, enough soup talk, thanks for reading and I will be back tomorrow with my regular what I eat in a day post, so I will see you then,

Rachael xx.

No comments:

Post a Comment