Thursday 19 January 2012

Scrumptious Strawberry Dessert Cake!


Hello again! It's cake time now (my favourite time, oh yes!). This beautiful little number was found in Mary Berry's Baking Bible. In a little deviation from topic can I just say, how wonderful is Mary Berry?I absolutely love her, such a lovely woman. I met her once :) I became a little starstruck and got her to sign my recipe book. I know, very rock and roll.
Anyway, childish moment over, this cake is well good. I changed the recipe slightly, I added some white chocolate chips (I'm addicted to white chocolate and fruit, especially raspberries, strawberries and blueberries!). It's a combination made in heaven.

This cake was made for New Year's Day, a celebratory day calls for a celebratory cake (any excuse for some cake). My fall from grace with this cake recipe was that I may have left it in the oven a bit too long, it got a tad burnt (oopsies!) and therefore I felt it was a little dry. So, my creative brain in check, what better way to mend this than with a creamy white chocolate and vanilla sauce. I made the sauce by:

  •  bringing double cream to the boil
  • taking off the heat and adding gorgeous chunks of white chocolate and vanilla pod seeds
  • leaving to cool until thickish.
See, I told you I love white chocolate and berries. This sauce seemed to rescue the cake somewhat and my reputation was restored :).As the recipe states this can be enjoyed either hot or cold, I personally preferred it hot with the cold sweet sauce. This cake enhanced an already fun and delicious day, I would recommend giving this beauty a try. Happy treating everybody!

Rachael xx

No comments:

Post a Comment