Tuesday 12 March 2013

Mother's Day Raspberry Red Velvet Cake

hey guys! So it was mother's day yesterday here in the UK. So my little sister and I treated our lovely mummy to some home baked goodness :). We are rather proud of this showstopper cake....


Such a yummy cake, vanilla cream cheese frosting, raspberries and a light chocolatey flavour, simply scrumptious...Our mum enjoyed it too haha! I even tried some fancy piping to make it look a lot more professional, our mother deserves the best don't you know :). This recipe is taken from the April issue of BBC Good Food but you could also find it on their website. SO here goes and I hope you also treated your mummy well this mother's day!

Raspberry Red Velvet Cake

280g caster sugar
175g softened butter
3 large eggs
280g self-raising flour
2tsp vanilla essence
75g cocoa powder
150 ml butter milk
1tsp white wine vinegar
85g full-fat cream cheese
75g pureed raspberries
150g punnet raspberries

For the frosting...
200g icing sugar
140g cream cheese
2tsp vanilla essence
140ml whipping cream

1. Heat oven to 160 degrees fan oven. Grease and line two cake tins.
2. Use electric whisk beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating in between.
3.Sieve flour and cocoa powder into a separate bowl. Add half to the egg mixture and fold carefully.
4. Mix buttermilk, vinegar, cream cheese, raspberry puree and fold have of this into cake batter. followed by the rest of the flour mix and then the rest of this wet mix.
5.Spoon into cake tins and cook for 25-30mins until done.
6. leave to cool and make frosting by mixing cream cheese, vanilla and icing sugar and beating in whipping cream.
7. When cake is cooled assemble with frosting and raspberries. Decorate and present to your mother :) .

I hope you enjoy giving this cake a go. It really looks and tastes beautiful. Give me a wee comment if you do give it a go and let me know what you think! I hope everyone is having a lovely Tuesday. I'm going to go thrifting this afternoon (one of my favourite things to do), I might share my finds with you if you would like that??

Lots of love,

Rachael xx.

13 comments:

  1. What a pretty cake!

    xo Jennifer

    http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks so yummy!
    i'm now following your blog. hope you check mine out and follow back xx
    www.vicariousLA.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thank you and thanks for the follow :). I Will definitely check out your blog.

      Delete
  3. Oh, you scared me at first! I thought I missed Mothers Day!! lol! (We don't celebrate until May here.) Your mom is very lucky to have such a great bakers for a daughters. That cake is the perfect way to celebrate. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha sorry for the fright :). Thank you, yeah she seemed happy with a massive wedge of cake for a prezzie :).

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this sweet recipe
    kisses
    www.welovefur.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me at red velvet. Sounds amazing. Go ahead and make one to send to me :). Baking is not my strong suit.

    ~Sarah
    P.S. If you're in to fashion/style, I'd love it if you would visit my blog, Sarah's Real Life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you :). I will definitely check out your blog :).

      Delete
  6. Uh, wow. That looks amazingly delicious. Wow. :)

    ReplyDelete