Wednesday 9 November 2016

What I Eat in a Day 2

Hey all! So i'm back today with a what I eat in a day post and checking in with how i'm getting on with my meal plan this week plus i'm going to share a sneaky wee recipe for my healthy-ish peanut butter, banana and dark chocolate ice cream, so stay tuned. The day which I am about to share is a normal day for me, not too healthy and not too unhealthy, just normal and easy. So, have a wee read and enjoy! Oh and please let me know if you try the ice-cream, I find it so yummy and it satisfies my sweet tooth without being too heavy or artificial tasting.

BREAKFAST

Porridge cooked with whole milk topped with banana, honey and cinnamon and a HUGE coffee.

I have to admit something now, I am porridge obsessed if this is even a thing. This time of year just brings out the porridge monster in me. I love coming up with new combinations and toppings and at the moment this is my favourite, it's just so warming and cosy. Plus, I recently read that cinnamon is really good for you so, win win! I know there is some controversy on how porridge is made ( my husband swears by using water to cook it and adding milk at the end, yuck!) but I always just cook mine with whole milk, as I like it really creamy. Then I just topped with sliced banana, drizzle over honey and sprinkle over cinnamon and there you go, it's as easy as that. I find that porridge does help me keep full to lunchtime as well, which is great as it stops me snacking on other things.

LUNCH

Left over slow cooked chicken madras with rice and 2 satsumas

The day before this day we had slow cooker chicken madras for dinner so I just reheated some leftovers for my lunch and cooked up some rice (mainly peas, I LOVE peas!). This recipe is from the Tesco food magazine for October and is well worth trying if you have a slow cooker. I love my slow cooker and jump at the chance of trying a new recipe in it. This was so simple to make and when it's dinner time you just have to serve it up and eat, there's not even that many dishes to do because you just have the one pot. Slow cookers are a great kitchen gadget, definitely worth having in your kitchen for a morning when you are winning at life and organisation and you can get dinner done and dusted before 10am, YES! Also, I always like to have some fruit with my lunch and because it's cold and flu season (yuck!), oranges won today to keep me topped up with vitamin c.

DINNER

Jamie Oliver's Family Classics Chicken and Chorizo Traybake

For dinner this evening I made this traybake from Jamie Oliver's family classics cookbook and let me tell you, it did not disappoint. It was very easy to assemble, it was just a case of getting all the ingredients together in a tray and popping in the oven to cook. You can't really go wrong with sweet potatoes, chicken things, peppers, chorizo and almonds. It was the perfect bright and tasty pick me up for a horrible evening, I mean seriously the weather turned horrendous, it just bucketed rain out of the heavens. This was the first time I had tried this recipe and it was delicious so I will definitely be making it again, the only thing I would recommend doing would be to leave it in the oven for about 20mins longer than the recipe as my potatoes needed a little extra cooking.

EVENING SNACK

Home-made Peanut butter, banana and dark chocolate ice-cream

This evening because of the aforementioned weather I was really craving something chocolatey and comfort foodie and could not get ice-cream out of my head. So I decided to make something a little healthier than the delicious feasts that I was dreaming up in my imagination. You've probably seen recipes for this in loads of different places but I have my own that I thought I would share with you. It's a really great recipe for using up slightly over-ripe bananas, just chop them up and the put them in the freezer and you are 5mins away from home-made ice cream at all times. So here we go:

Peanut Butter, Banana and Dark Chocolate Ice cream
Serves 2 (About 3 scoops each)

You will need:
3 frozen bananas, frozen in slices
1-2 Tablespoons of crunchy peanut butter
a little whole milk
50g dark chocolate, cut into small chunks

1. Put your banana in a powerful food processor along with your peanut butter and a little milk and blend until you get a nice smooth consistency. You can keep adding the milk a little at a time to get it to your desired creaminess.
2. Add your chocolate chunks and stir in until evenly dispersed.
3. Scoop into your bowl and eat it away. It does melt quite fast but it usually doesn't last that long for this to be a problem.

Once you have the basics of this ice-cream down you can start playing, the possibilities are endless. You could add cocoa powder, chopped nuts, vanilla extract, almond extract or more fruit like raspberries. It really is that simple and yummy!

Okay, so thanks very much for reading and I hope you enjoyed the journey through my day in food. If you have tried any of these recipes please do let me know how you got on with them. Also, any porridge ideas that are your favourite would be greatly appreciated.
Until next time,

Rachael xo.



No comments:

Post a Comment