Friday 24 August 2012

Chocolate, Cherry and Almond and Upside-Down Cake

Hello lovely people! I've had a wee break from the blog recently as I have been away for a week in Donegal, Ireland with my family. I was in the middle of nowhere with no mobile phone signal or wifi, it was quite nice to be out of communication for a while :). But not for too long, I missed my man and my girlfriends :).We spent most of our time eating in pubs, battling with sheep on the roads and walking this cutie pie...


In the UK the Great British Bake Off has started again, this is possibly my most favourite tv program in forever! Each week I will bake one of the bakes featured in the show and this week it is an Upside down cake. This recipe is an adjusted recipe from BBC Good Food website (the link will be attached at the end). I made this beauty for another sunday lunch with my man's family, and it went down a treat :). How amazing are chocolate,cherries and almonds together? Yummy scrummy. So here goes with the recipe...

Chocolate, Cherry and Almond Upside Down Cake

200g butter 
200g golden caster sugar
4 eggs
50g chocolate, melted
50g cocoa powder
25g ground almonds
200g cherries, stones removed
2 tbsp golden syrup
2 tbsp cherry jam

Topping-white chocolate, melted
milk chocolate, melted
toasted,flaked almonds

Method
1. Preheat oven to fan 160 degrees Celsius. Line a 20cm cake tin with paper and grease it.
2. Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. 
3. Beat in eggs and melted chocolate.
4. Fold in flour, almonds and cocoa powder.
5.Line bottom of cake tin with cherries and cover with the syrup and jam mixed together. Spoon the cake mixture on top.
6. Bake for 1hr 15mins or until done. Cool in the tin, then turn out upside down.
7. Cover top with toasted almonds and drizzle chocolate on top.
8. Slice up and watch it disappear!

This is a yummy and impressive looking bake, and is a little bit more difficult than your average cake. One tip I do have for you is to be careful with oven times, as it is quite easy to overbake. Next up in this Great British Bake Off series is bread, it will be a first for me, so let's see how that one goes :).
Hope everyone is having a lovely week. Happy Baking!

Rachael xx.

P.s. Do you have any favourite cookery programs you could recommend to me? I'm always to watch more food on tv :). Oh and here is the link for the original recipe  http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9965/upsidedown-berry-cake



6 comments:

  1. This cake sounds way too good to me right now. :)

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bake off sounds like a lot of fun! :)

    Glad you had a good bloggy break. Those are needed from time to time... even if you were battling sheep...lol! And what a cute doggie! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Battling sheep was one of the highlights of the trip! The blogging break was awesome, I was able to come up with some new exciting recipes and things for the blog :).

      Delete
    2. So fun! Can't wait to see what inspirational recipes you've come up with.

      One of these days, I'm gonna have to have a sheep battle... lol!

      Delete
  3. Oh my! This sounds delish! Always looking for new recipes! I post some foodie-related entries every now an then!

    Great posts!

    Sophia
    http://justtheeverydays.blogspot.com/

    xo

    ReplyDelete