Wednesday 18 July 2012

Rad Raspberry Spice Cake!!


Hey guys! Get a pen, quick, this recipe is a keeper! This cake I made for my friend Debbie's 21st Birthday ( we also made pink lemonade, it was delicious too).I had a sous chef as well in my friend Patrick, although the less said about that the better ;P only joking he was quite helpful! It was such a fun night, we went out for Chinese food,we played games and it was topped off by this delicious cake! The recipe (as well as the pink lemonade recipe) can be found in the May issue of BBC Good Food! I only changed the recipe slightly by adding lemon zest to the icing, I thought raspberries and lemons are a wonderful summery combination. We also made our cake with two layers instead of six. Here goes with the recipe... are you ready?

RASPBERRY SPICE CAKE ( Serves 12)

Cake
250g softened butter
450g plain flour
140g golden caster sugar
140g light soft brown sugar
5 large eggs
4 tbsp honey
2tsp baking powder
1tsp cinnamon
1tsp mixed spice
 1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp salt
4 tbsp buttermilk

Filling & Icing
200g raspberry jam
200g raspberries
250g butter softened
200g soft cheese
200g icing sugar

METHOD
1. Preheat oven to fan 140°C. Grease and line 3 20cm cake tins with baking parchment.
2. tip all cake ingredients into a bowl and beat until smooth.
3. Divide cake mix between tins and bake for 25mins until done and then cool on wire rack.
4. Split cakes in half. Mash jam and raspberries together and spread over 5 cake halves, leaving one free. Sandwich the cake halves together with the plain cake on top. Leave overnight with a weight spread on top.
5. beat butter, cheese and icing sugar (&lemon if you want, it's good, I promise) then spread over the cake and decorate as you wish.
6. Invite your friends round, have a cup of tea and munch away :).

There you go, one delicious and quite different cake! I hope you give this a try and enjoy it as much as my friends and I did! Happy Baking!!

Rachael xx.

P.s. Is there any cake recipe you have tried recently and absolutely loved? I would love to know! Oh and if you have any questions about the recipe, let me know :).


No comments:

Post a Comment