Wednesday 25 July 2012

Brilliant Banana and Chocolate Muffins



Hey guys, a slightly healthy recipe for you today (there's 3 bananas in these little muffins, would you believe!). This recipe is an adapted recipe for banana muffins from the All Recipes Iphone App. Can I just begin by saying that this app is amazing for picking recipes on the go, or making something out of leftovers in your kitchen! I highly recommend downloading this app if you find yourself in a rut of confusion of what to cook for dinner, this app is so easy to use! Yesterday morning I woke with a craving to bake but I couldn't be bothered to trudge all the way to the local supermarket in the rain (yucky northern Irish weather!). I knew I had to make something using only ingredients from my cupboards,so, I had a wee nosey on the app (in bed might I add, I was feeling very lazy and this app is so handy). Banana muffins sounded perfect and I had the added bonus of being able to eat one for breakfast (oh yes!). Of course I added chocolate and some caramel syrup to mine, I have a major sweet tooth.The muffins have the perfect moist and spongey texture and are just lovely! Here's my recipe...

Banana and Chocolate Muffins

200g plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 large bananas, mashed
150g caster sugar
1 egg
75g softened butter
2 tbsp caramel syrup
50g cocoa powder

METHOD

1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Sift flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cocoa powder into a bowl.
3. Combine bananas, sugar, egg, butter and syrup in a separate bowl.
4. Fold in flour and mix till smooth.
5. Line a muffin tray with baking cases and fill with mixture until half full.
6. Bake in oven for 15-20mins. Remove from the oven and if they are around long enough dust with icing sugar.

There are so many things you could change with this recipe. I was contemplating changing this to make a Banoffee Muffin recipe which I think would be to die for! You could also make these little guys much healthier by using wholemeal flour and adding oats to the top, and maybe using honey instead of sugar, the possibilities are endless and the choice is entirely down to your cravings that day. Hope you give these a try and let me know how they go!Hope everyone is having a lovely week.
 Happy Baking!

Rachael xx.

P.s. If there are any other baking/cooking related Iphone apps out there, I would love to hear your suggestions? Please feel free to drop me a wee comment!

3 comments:

  1. I love banana muffins, but never thought to add chocolate to them. Such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love banana muffins too! It's a very tasty idea, I also add melted chocolate and chocolate chips to my banana bread as well!

      Delete
  2. Bananas and chocolate are such a great combination, I feel like getting out the oven mitts!

    ReplyDelete