Tuesday 12 February 2013

Chocolate Orange Scones!

Hello friends! Sorry for the wee break again, ha! I'm not very reliable when it comes to this old blogging thing! Well, I have some delicious recipes for you today to make up for it. Firstly some chocolate orange scones. Here's a wee picture for you to drool over for a wee while :)....

 
 
These little baked beauties come to you courtesy of a very yummy recipe by the amazing Ellie Simmons. She won the comic relief bake off with these bad boys, don't you know, so they must be sensational! I haven't made very many scones before, just the white chocolate and strawberry scones which you can also read about on this blog! But I will definitely make these again, they were perfectly orangey with BIG dark chocolate chunks throughout, so scrummy. I also had some help with these from my lovely fiancĂ©, he loved telling me not to knead the dough, haha! So here goes, give these wee boys a go and you won't be disappointed, Thank you Ellie!
 
Chocolate Orange Scones
700g self-raising flour
150g butter
150g caster sugar
2 large oranges, finely grated zest of both and juice of one orange
150g chocolate chunks ( I probably added a lot more than this!)
200ml milk, plus extra for brushing
1tsp vanilla extract
 
Method
 
Preheat the oven to 210C. Lightly butter two baking trays.
 
Sift the flour into a bowl. Rub in the butter using your hands until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar, chocolate chunks and orange zest.
 
In a measuring jug, mix the milk with the juice of one orange. Add to the flour mixture gradually until the dough just comes together. Be careful not to overwork the scone dough.
 
Roll out the dough to approximately 2cm/1in thickness and cut out scones.
 
Transfer the scones to the buttered baking trays, brush the tops with milk and bake in the centre of the oven for 10-12 minutes, or until risen and golden-brown.
 
Remove from the oven and cool on wire rack.
 
 
These scones could be served with cream and clementines. My favourite way of serving would have to be with a big thick spreading of chocolate spread, just because I have serious chocolate addiction and I can never have too much :). Hope you are all having a nice week and baking lots of yummy treats! Please let me know if you have baked any of my goodies, I would love to know how they turned out! Next up I have a test run of Nigella's Chocolate Guinness cake.....watch this space!
 
Lots of Love,
 
Rachael xx.
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment